Woodinville Montessori School
Weekly Newsletter, Sept. 5, 2018
LEARN self-respect, compassion and commitment to community | GROW academically, socially, emotionally, creatively and intellectually | BECOME world citizens who have a voice and make a difference.
|WMS home||Grapevine photo gallery||Toddler||Early Childhood||Lower Elementary||Upper Elementary||Secondary site||Family Alliance|
And the 2018-2019 school year begins
As teacher Lisa Shin and assistant Kelsey Mooseker greet them, parents say goodbye to Elm students outside the classroom on the first day of school. See more photos in this week’s gallery.→
The 2018-2019 school year has begun, and WMS students, families and staff are excited to be back together again. Parents at both campuses took a few minutes on Sept. 5 to have coffee and pastries and talk together after students were settled in class. Afterward, many attended the first volunteer training session of the school year, held at the North Creek campus. Thank you to the Family Alliance for hosting the Welcome-Back-to-School coffees this morning! See photos from the North Creek coffee on the Family Alliance page.→
Middle School students and teachers hold their first community meeting of the new school year.
Sign up for electives through Sept. 10; drama elective opens to second graders
Register now through Sept. 10 on Camp Brain for electives and athletics. Athletics, electives and clubs are offered at both the Woodinville and North Creek campuses, for students from early childhood ages 4-6 through high school. These electives have openings:
- Animation Coding (grades 3-6)
- MMUN (AM Elective) (grades 7-8)
- ID Lab (grades 6-8)
- Junior State of America (grades 9-12)
- Journalism (grades 4-12)
- The drama elective is now open to second graders.
All Early Childhood electives at both campuses have available spaces.
See the activities offered this fall in the brochure. For more information contact Theresa Kirby, 425-420-9734.
Coffees with Sunita begin on Sept. 10 and Sept. 12
Get better acquainted with Head of School Sunita Pailoor at a Coffee with Sunita at the Woodinville campus, East Building (Elm and Apple building) on Sept. 10, 8:50-9:20 a.m., and at North Creek, Head of School Conference Room, Building 1, on Sept. 12, 8:30-9 a.m.
Coffees are scheduled on alternate Mondays at Woodinville, and on alternate Wednesdays at North Creek, throughout the school year. Woodinville’s second coffee will be on Sept. 24, and North Creek’s on Sept. 26.
Calling all volunteers to kick off Fall Festival
After coffee, join us for the Fall Festival Kick-off Meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 12, 9 a.m., in the Family Alliance Executive Meeting Room (Building 2, near Elementary Club House). Learn all about one of our community’s favorite annual events and how you can help. Volunteers are needed to assist both with the planning and at the event. The Fall Festival team is also seeking a Volunteer Coordinator and Communications & Marketing Coordinator to join the leadership planning team.
The WMS Fall Festival is a great way to learn more about our special school and meet your fellow parents, and is always a ton of fun! Questions? Contact Fall Festival Chair Angela Kugler and see you all at the kick-off meeting.
Wear your WMS pride—new online spiritwear store opens
We have a new online, on-demand spiritwear store managed by K12clothing.com. K12clothing.com allows orders of just one item at a time (or many) and accepts a variety of payment methods. Order t-shirts and/or sweatshirts from the site they have set up for WMS, and have them delivered directly to you—no need to wait for an annual sale.
In July, the long-running Fieldhouse changed its business model and closed its online logo gear stores, including WMS’s, so we had to find a new vendor.
As this is a brand new offering for us, please contact Claire Tuohy-Morgan, communications & marketing director with feedback or for more information. Let us know whether or not this site and service work for you.
- Sept. 6
- • All New-To-School Parents Of Toddlers—Orientation to School, 9:30-10:30 a.m., BOT Meeting Rm., Building 2.
- • All Lower El Parents—Orientation To Program Level, 6-7:45 p.m. Reserve free child care here by Sept. 5.
- • All Upper El Parents—Orientation To Program Level, 6-7:45 p.m. Reserve free child care here by Sept. 5.
- Sept. 7
- • Early Bird registration open through Sept. 14 for Sept. 28 camp
- Sept. 9
- • High School Retreat, through Sept. 12
- Sept. 10
- • WV campus Coffee with Sunita, 8:50-9:20 a.m., WV East
- Sept. 11
- • All NC EC & WV Oak & Apple parents classroom community meetings, 5-6 p.m., students’ classrooms. Reserve complimentary child care for enrolled EC students and their older siblings; North Creek here; Oak & Apple here.
- • Volunteer training, 9 a.m., NC BOT meeting room, first floor, Building 2
- Sept. 12
- • Middle School Retreat, through Sept. 14
- • NC campus Coffee with Sunita, 8:30-9 a.m., HOS Conference Rm., Building 1
- • Fall Festival Kick-off Meeting, 9 a.m., FA Executive Meeting Rm., Building 2
- • Maple & Elm Parents classroom community meetings, 5-6 p.m., in your child’s classroom. Reserve complimentary child care here for enrolled EC students and their older siblings.
- • Fig Class Potluck, Fig classroom, 5:30-7 p.m.
Two more volunteer training sessions scheduled
If you missed the volunteer training this morning, never fear! Come to a training session on Tuesday, Sept. 11, at 9 a.m., in the North Creek Board of Trustees Meeting Room, first floor, Building 2. Just walk down the main hallway until you reach the wall decorated with the peace cranes, turn the corner and the new BOT room is on the left.
Or, attend a volunteer training session on Thursday, Sept. 13, 4:30 p.m., in the lobby of Woodinville campus East.
Lunch Ladies registration and ordering is open now
Lunch Ladies Catering partners with BoonLi to provide a secure, fast, and easy-to-use online ordering system that allows parents at Woodinville Montessori School (North Creek campus only) to view our lunch menu, order, prepay and manage student lunches.
Welcome to the Grapevine newsletter. The Grapevine is published every Wednesday afternoon during regular school weeks. We welcome your submissions of photos and articles that are about or directly relevant to WMS students, subject to approval by the Director of Communications and Marketing. All submissions are due by 4:30 p.m., Mondays. We do not accept advertising.
News from the Family Alliance is updated on the second week of each month during the school year.